The Proud History of MJS Floorcoverings
M. J. Sturgess & Co. Pty Ltd was founded in January 1967 by Mervyn John Sturgess. Born in 1926 and the eldest of two sons to Arthur and Alice Sturgess. Mervyn finished his studies at ‘Churchie’ Anglican College in Brisbane. At the age of 21 he married Ruth Wyman and started his working career as a motor mechanic in his Uncle Jack’s Service Station in Esk.
Prior to moving the family to Townsville in 1956 Mervyn owned and operated newsagency businesses in Broadbeach and Salisbury. In Townsville he was a commercial traveller for Power and Burkett, managing a number of agencies such as King Gee and George G. Clark a flooring wholesaler.
In 1962 Camco (Charmans) Sydney employed Mervyn who established their Brisbane based operation. In 1967, having successfully established Camco Queensland, he commenced his own flooring distribution company along with loyal staff Bart Tweed, Les Kucks and Norma Stratford at premises that they affectionately called “a hole in the wall” in Kyabra Street, Fortitude Valley, later moving to premises in Salisbury.
Some of the company’s first product lines were Pabco Adhesives, Chemhouse Accessories, Domco Vinyls, UEB Carpets and Joubert & Joubert Underlays. In 1979 the Company acquired distribution for CSR Vinyl Tiles who were later purchased in 1982 by Armstrong Nylex and together with FDL and Charmans, MJS became the third distributor for Armstrong Nylex in Queensland. It was also during this time that the Company became a Roberts accessory distributor.
1960’S KYABRA STREET
Into the Modern Era
Over the years the Company has grown it’s Accessory Division with the opening of numerous Trade Centres along the Eastern Seaboard, together with the opening of Regional Warehouses in Melbourne in 1996, Sydney in 2000, Darwin in 2001and Canberra in 2004. In 2001 the company purchased Burrows Distributors of Tasmania. In this same year, MJS was appointed Armstrong’s distributor in both the states of Tasmania and Victoria. The company increased its product portfolio with Ceramics in1992, Carpet Cushion in 1996, Timber in 2006 and Laminates in 2007. A combination of all these achievements saw the Sturgess brothers John, Cameron and Brett build new premises at 35 Dividend Street, Mansfield in 2001 later extending with a second warehouse in 2006.
In 2007 the Sturgess Family incorporated MJS Floorcoverings New Zealand Pty Ltd., which saw the opening of it’s Auckland branch in July that year.In August 2001, the company changed its trading name and logo to what it is today, allowing for a smooth transition into the southern markets whilst redefining its position but keeping the founders identity.
In October 2002 MJS entered into a licensing agreement with Manufacturers’ Agencies Pty. Ltd. (WA & SA) for the distribution of the MJS product brand within these markets. Now sourcing globally from Europe, the United States, and Asia, MJS represents some of the world’s leading flooring manufacturers offering its Australian customer base a “Global Package” of flooring product.
Over the years, MJS has successfully grown on its pillars of strength Dedicated Staff, Satisfied Customers, Quality Suppliers, Financial Backing, whilst being managed in the old “MJS Family Spirit”. Mervyn originally formed his company so that he could give his family both security and a base from which to develop their careers. He achieved this with all sons working in the business and becoming successful in their own right. Mervyn told the family that if the grandkids were to ask “Who he was?” we were to say “He was a Merchant, a Buyer and Seller of product”, and always with the catch cry…
“For Stock and Service call Sturgess!”
MJS Monthly Newsletter
Keep up to date with the industry, product releases and upcoming events.